Link to a drawing

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Getting to know Quito

An equestrian statue just south of Parque Caroline, An example of the heavy jet traffic over the city, Chantal shows Sandy the technique of Tie Die and a cross on the west side of Parque Caroline

On the days since the last of these entries I have gotten to know more of the city. I better understand some of the bus routes. The streets around several destinations are in my spatial memory now. The medical missions undertaken since I arrived two weeks ago have driven some of this exploration. The Diagnostic Center is on a street called Maria Jesus. Its not too far from my Ecuadorian Cardiac doctor on the third floor of the San Francisco building. Here, of course, San Francisco is a saint not a city by the bay or a song by the chairman of the bored. I have wondered two of the malls. The one within walking distance, El Bosque. Another on this end of Parque Caroline, QueCentro. I am not a shopper but it is interesting to compare prices. The crowds are at maximum with Navidad (Christmas to you gringos) less than a week away.I even managed to stumble into one of the very few electronic parts stores in the country. Its not far from the statue in the photo. Between it and Radio Shack (I've found two of them) there will be some support for my electronic hobby here.

The medical thing went well. Turns out I have no heart. The symptoms have all been gas. I should have gone with the lay opinions flung at me over the years, they were right after all.

A couple more observations on this early research into medical practice in Ecuador. The Echo Cardiogram I obtained for $75 is mine. It was given to me as a paper report and on CDROM for my stateside doctor. I took it to Doctor Gaibor, he studied it and recommended I stay on the drug regime prescribed for me in the States. I saw him during his "Office Hours". You young people (under 50) will not remember Office Hours. They have not existed in the USA for a long time. You show up during a three hour window in the afternoon and the doctor sees patients in the order they arrive. The cost for this medical nostalgia was $20. I repeat this is not mud hut stuff (I need to fight the brain washing of decades in USA readers). These are competent people with equipment from Germany and Asia (surprise, this is where it comes from now). The difference is that medicine here is not a highly profitable business operated by insurance companies who have bought the government. I repeat, using the health of the public as a tool for profit is fundamentally immoral. It may take several generations for this to sink in. Meanwhile enjoy your $400 Echo Cardiograms, mine was $75 and just as good. Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment