Link to a drawing

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Last day in Quito, reflections and Sandy's art

A colorful example of Sandra's work. The camera can never capture the feeling and depth of these paintings.

My time is almost up. While this computer's batteries have sufficient charge I will leave some last impressions of Quito. Its been good here. Sandy's house is very much a home and I have been welcomed into it. That is very Latin, sharing with people and including them in your life. Without that its just a travelogue. Ive met a lot of people, Sandra's relations, friends. I have forgotten most names but not the warmth and eagerness to welcome and help.

My favorite of Sandra's paintings. It reminds me of Van Goegh's wheat/olive tree fields.

As a bonus I've gotten to know a very good artist. Seeing her work on the walls throughout the house everyday has reinforced my positive impression of her work. Very personal stuff, totally personal. That's what gives it its worth. The technique? Makes me feel like that dog watching the clock, I am looking at it but I don't have a clue how its done. The take away from this is, do your own thing...whatever it is. Copying style and technique is a short ride down a one way street, sterile and cold. So I will make my own art in Cuenca.

This might be my second favorite work by Sandra, of what I've seen. There is so much going on, a different palate too.

For the past few days on the internet and on the phone I have lined up places to investigate in Cuenca. On Monday I meet a realtor to look at apartments. This is what has drawn so many old gringos to Cuenca and Ecuador, the cost of real estate. I am only renting for a month but the prices reflect the underlying costs of property. Lots to choose from too. I will try to be within walking distance of the parks and gringo haunts and buildings of artistic interest. So long for now Quito.

1 comment: