Link to a drawing

Monday, December 6, 2010

Sunday with Sandy in the city

Sunday was another day out in Quito exploring. Sandy took me round to the city center, showed me the bus system and introduced me to a couple of malls. Chantal, the student from California, came with us. She met up with friends in a park we landed in. Lots of people out in the parks, malls and streets. It is sort of a holiday weekend. Monday is Quito's birthday?, not quiet sure, but a celebration of the city. This will lead into the pre Christmas party. I expect that like Madrid it will be horns and firecrackers all the way to January.

First impressions. The mix of racial types. Not just Indian and Spanish but the black people of Ecuador. I didn't realize the country had any Africans. The black Ecuadorians are taller generally, the Indians shorter and the Spanish in the middle. I am taller than most Ecuadorians so I can get a good view in a crowd. We were in plenty of crowds on Sunday. Saw a few tourists too, we stand out. Dress, size and body language. Also, the natives don't look up every time a jet passes overhead. Quito, most of the city, is on the glide path for the airport. A 737 passes over the center of the town, old Quito, about ever 20 minutes. I look up, most people don't, the jets are fairly loud. But when you have a range of mountains studded with volcanos on either side, down the middle is where you must fly.

The malls. Sandy (to the right in the photo) took me to two malls. I've forgotten the names. Found an outlet strip and an extension cord for my room. I have the usual number of electronic gadgets and the house has old wiring and a limited number of outlets. The prices for this type of stuff was very low! Shockingly low for electrical items. USA or less. It would not have been worth it, bringing a power strip that can be had here for $3. In the food court I had a burger and Sandy ate fries with Mayo. Prices for the various food outlets ringing the court were high. These malls are more like USA theme parks and the prices reflect this. The food is not local (what I noticed), it is exotic and thus expensive. It was an indulgence after trudging several miles.

Monday is for resting while the locals party. Tuesday I visit the lawyer in the late morning and get the visa process going. In the afternoon I visit a cardio doctor, my first contact with medicine in Ecuador. Sandy is suggesting the town of Cotacachi for a first expedition away from the capitol. Two hours by bus. The idea of being close to the city yet living in the quiet countryside is appealing. We shall see.

The overall impression is just what I had expected. The details and flavors I could not have anticipated are being filled in for me as I go about the city. This is just one little rincon (corner) of Ecuador. Lots more to see.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your warmth and sunshine, cold and snow here, you got out just in time.
    Hope your having a good time, looking forward to more post and pics from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glen. Found your blog through South Of Zero. Looking forward to your post and thoughts on Cotacachi. My husband & I are visiting this coming Feb. From Quito, we will visit Cotacachi and Cuenca. We are comparing Ecuador to Uruguay. Doug speaks spanish...I do not (starting Fluenz).
    We are coming from FL. Best wishes for god outcomes at the Dr & attorney...Be well.

    ReplyDelete