Link to a drawing

Monday, December 27, 2010

Navidad in Quito and gone New Years


Nochebuena is the night before Navidad, which is Christmas day. At Sandra's house I spent Nochebuena with Eugen and his wife Ximena, Sandra and daughter's Nichol and Lauren, boyfriends who's names escape me (I should keep notes). There was an amazing meal prepared by both Coli (Nicole) and her mom. Pavo which is turkey, soaked in Coke (the stuff in a bottle) before cooking. I was shocked seeing a liter of Coca Cola being poured over a turkey. But it worked, At dinner the meat just fell off the bones. It tasted great too. Another example of the effect of that product from Atlanta on mortal flesh. I have been fortunate in Ecuador and at Sandra's house that people speak Spanish 90% of the time. That's the way I learn. So I was following the conversation to some degree, asking a question now and then. Very educational. On Christmas day we went to Sandy's mom's house and I met more people. Navidad had great weather, sunny and warmer.I met more new people. Had an interesting conversation with Sandra's sister's guy. He told me I should check out Mendo, in the jungle to the west, toward Esmaralda. He said the gringos are flocking there for eco tours. There is huge diversity of bugs and humming birds I guess. Its on my list. The young people roll their eyes and say, you will be soooo bored. its hard to get an idea without visiting it myself...so I will. Starting with Cuenca. I just bought the ticket so Friday morning at nine I will be on one of the jets that roar over Quito several dozen times a day. The new year will dawn with me on leg two of this exploration of Ecuador. So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment