Link to a drawing

Saturday, December 4, 2010

In Ecuador at last

At last I have arrived in Ecuador. In Quito to be specific, just south of the airport. The flight down was as expected. The security wasn't bad but for the fact I had three legs to the trip. But, I got here so...alls well that ends well. No flight missed, no baggage lost. Just paid $50 for one overweight suitcase, my fault. I couldn't believe I was so strong so I guessed (wrong) that it wasn't heavy. It became heavier. Lugging it into this house I think it was up to 300 lb.

The house is Sandra's. She is an Ecuadorian painter. Third generation European emigrant. Excellent English, lived in the states for many years. Its a big house so she takes in foreign visitors, students and tourist/visa hunters like me. Living out of hotels for three months is just not on. It would be expensive and not at all secure. I doubt the inexpensive hotel rooms would have space for the tons of stuff I've brought. So its a family situation. Her daughter, twenty something, lives here as well as a student from California. Spanish is the language 75% of the time. Friday night after dinner we had fun doing the newspaper crossword in Spanish. Not as difficult as you might think...the subjects are often USA movie stars. A good exercise. Sandy is long used to people needing the exercise of conversation in Spanish and corrects pronunciation with patience.

The altitude, which I thought might be a problem, hasn't been. I am encouraged now and then to breath deeply but beyond that I haven't noticed much. Walking to a mall on the slopes of the western volcano on Friday stressed me a little but I rested and that was no problem. Looked at the prices in the stores. Hit the ATM. Sandy was with me and we sat and drank coffee while looking down on the airport. Quito is like a curled ribbon running north and south. Walking east or west from the center of the ribbon is walking up hill.

I am giving myself a good rest today, Saturday. Monday is a holiday so I might go out and walk around some. Tuesday I see a lawyer and cardiologist. Investigating the medical possibilities here is a major goal for me. This first doctor visit with EKG will be $40. The lawyer I see tuesday specializes in the visa process. I want to get residence status for stays longer than three months a year. That way I can find my oun little corner of the country and settle in.

Day two, lots of time. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment